Full Time Position
Research and Policy Analyst
Los Angeles, California
Research and Policy Analyst
Los Angeles, California
The Campaign for College Opportunity seeks an experienced Research and Policy Analyst to work on research and policy issues pertaining to California higher education.
The Campaign for College Opportunity is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) broad-based, bipartisan coalition, including business, education and civil rights leaders, that is dedicated to ensuring the next generation of Californians has the opportunity to go to college and succeed. Our mission is focused on substantially increasing the number of students attending two- and four-year colleges in the state and who complete their college education. The Campaign maintains offices in Los Angeles and Sacramento.
Under the direction of the Director of Policy Research, the Research and Policy Analyst will conduct research and analysis to inform public discourse on opportunities for advancing policy reforms related to higher education in California. The Research and Policy Analyst will also play a role in designing new opportunities to keep the Campaign for College Opportunity on the cutting edge of higher education policy driven research.
The position involves interaction with state and national education experts and advocates, as well as state and federal executive and legislative branch policy staff.
The successful candidate will have excellent research and data analysis skills and related experience, as well as a demonstrated ability to synthesize policy and research information for different audiences. A strong interest in higher education policy is required.
This position is based in Los Angeles, California and some travel will be required. The Research and Policy Analyst will report directly to the Director of Policy Research and work closely with staff across the organization.
Specific roles and responsibilities are detailed below.
Research and Analysis
- Conduct research and prepare analysis on issues pertaining to California higher education policy;
- Gather and catalogue information on college access, completion, financial aid, and equity gaps;
- Monitor, analyze and catalogue issues and policy proposals pertaining to college access, success,equity and affordability, including both state and federal policies;
Write reports, memos, briefs, and fact sheets to communicate findings and recommendations;
- Ensure appropriate peer review and feedback from critical research and organizational partners;
- Work closely with our graphics designer to produce strong visuals including report design and infographics to effectively share report findings;
- Represent the Campaign at in-person meetings and on conference calls (some travel required);
- Make presentations, attend meetings and conferences to achieve organizational objectives;
- Provide limited and focused assistance with grant proposals for new and existing Campaign for College Opportunity research and analysis projects;
Policy and Advocacy
- Assist in the development of organizational and team policy agendas and priorities as they relate to California higher education;
- Work with the team to develop policy recommendations, identify opportunities and strategies, and advocate for their adoption;
- When appropriate, collaborate with other organizations to increase the capacity of the
- Assist in responding to external inquiries from the press and others;
- M.A. in education research, education policy, or related fields (statistics, sociology, etc.);
- Two or more years of work experience in public policy and or institutional research;
- Strong background in education research
- Experience with American Community Survey (PUMS) files
- Experience with IPEDS data
- Experience with survey research (e.g., weighting datasets)
- Experience with qualitative research (e.g., interviewing)
- Experience working with a statistical package (e.g., R, SPSS, SAS, Stata). A background with Stata programming is a plus
- Knowledge of predictive modeling, regression and other advanced statistical analyses is a plus but not required
- Excellent analysis and synthesis skills;
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and accurately describe complex issues in ways that different audiences can understand;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Impeccable attention to detail;
Knowledge of higher education policy and research issues, as well as an interest in public policy, preferred.
Annual salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Campaign offers generous medical, dental, vision, and retirement benefits. The Campaign provides three weeks paid vacation and annual professional development opportunities as approved by your supervisor.
The Campaign for College Opportunity will accept applications for the position beginning July 22, 2015. Interested parties should forward a cover letter and resume indicating “Policy and Research Analyst” in the subject line by email to: Stacey Holderbach, Development and Administrative Manager firstname.lastname@example.org.
All candidates selected for an interview will be required to submit work samples, a listing of research articles and publications to which the candidate authored or contributed, and a salary history. Candidates will also be required to complete a short task aimed at assessing their policy research skills as they progress through the interview process.
The Campaign for College Opportunity is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified persons of every background. All applicants should visit our website to learn more about the Campaign at http://www.collegecampaign.org before submitting a cover letter and resume.
No phone calls please.